Surfin' Alpaca (Sorry, Beach Boys- SOMEONE Had To)

I hit the news site expecting to hear about Rivers of Blood, 100 years of darkness, boiling seas and a severe locust surplus. And that was just bracing for the Opinion section.

But instead-- there in a moment of joy, whimsy and "what-in-the-name-of-Jack-Hanna-is-that?" was a photo of Peruvian surfer Domingo Pianezzi, hitting the waves with his talented surf amigo, Pisco the Alpaca.

Yes, that's right: alpaca. One of those cute, fluffy, sheeply, llama-ish, mini-camelesque fellows we see in craft stores sometimes hocking their luxurious, wearable locks as yarn. See Pisco here needing quality time under a blow-dryer.

In an instant, a song popped into my head. The Beach Boys, singing Surfin' Safari. But the words... Oh, how the words had changed...

Sing with me now.

Surfin' Alpaca


Let's go surfin' now
Pisco’s gonna show us how
Surf with an alpaca or three
(Surf with an alpaca or...)

Early in the morning on San Bartolo
See a strange form shootin’ the curl
He’s the free-stylin’ honcho
You can make into a poncho
And a great way to meet girls

Come on (two-toes) baby, come and see (surfin' alpaca)
This alpaca (cute nose) surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me
Come along (he spits) baby, wanna see (surfin' alpaca)
Ramma-llama (no shit!) out there surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me

Let's go surfin' now
Flip yer camelid, and how!
Surf with an alpaca or three
(Surf with an alpaca or...)

All around a-Lima, well, they come for miles
Just to see him catching the waves
And to make things even better
He can even be your sweater
At fiestas he’s a fave

Come on (too cool) baby, come and see (surfin' alpaca)
This alpaca (wet wool) surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me
Come along (he spits) baby, wanna see (surfin' alpaca)
Ramma-llama (no shit!) out there surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me

Let's go surfin' now
Flip yer camelid, and how!
Surf with an alpaca or three
(Surf with an alpaca or...)

There’s mania in Mancora:, in Pacasmayo
They’re open-mouthed in Organos, too
So go and tell it to your mama
That he’s really not a llama
He’s a camelid from Peru

Come on (soft fleece) baby, come and see (surfin' alpaca)
This alpaca (sharp teeth) surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me
Come along (he spits) baby, wanna see (surfin' alpaca)
Ramma-llama (no shit!) out there surfin' (surfin' alpaca) with me

Let's go surfin' now
Pisco’s gonna show us how
Surf with an alpaca or three
(Surf with an alpaca or...)

Three
(Surfin' Alpaca)
With me
(Surfin' Alpaca)
Three
(Surfin' Alpaca)
Yeah me
(Surfin' Alpaca)
With me


"That alpaca dude is, like, totally shorn to surf, man!"


(And yes, it IS Friday.... why do you ask? :) )

11 comments:

Jaffer said...

Your drawing sure does capture the spirit of Alpaca surfin'

The real one though doesn't look very happy.

Jenn Thorson said...

Jaffer- I think it's because he's just so drenched. He looks all disheveled, doesn't he?

I would have loved to include the photo on my site instead of just offering a link, but didn't want Reuters coming after me for using it.

JD at I Do Things said...

Will you just STOP IT, for crying out loud????

You're killing me with this creativity! Geez, you even got in the backing vocals. And how many verses? Most people would stop at one verse, but not you. Oh, man.

STUMBLED!

Jenn Thorson said...

JD- You HAVE to do the backing vocals. It's the BEACH BOYS. It's, like, a LAW or something.

You should hear me trying to do all the parts at one time-- it's an audio nightmare for all those around me. :)

screwdestiny said...

That's the weirdest thing I've seen all day.

Unknown said...

ScrewDestiny- It truly is. When I was visiting my dad in the Florida Keys, there was this lady with a shih tzu on her paddle board, and that was pretty funny... But an alpaca... that beats all.

LF Velez said...

I wonder if there's any risk of the poor alpaca felting itself while soaking in all that salt water?

http://howtobecomeacatladywithoutthecats.blogspot.com said...

Great parody! You're as talented as Pisco.

Babs-beetle said...

When I click the link I get a photo of a boy with 15 fingers and 16 toes!

Great Parody :)

Mary@Holy Mackerel said...

I clicked the link to see the alpaca, and instead came upon a photo of some guy's feet, with 8 toes on each foot!! What the hell?!?!

Unknown said...

Babs and Mary- Ah, they must have moved the photo from their slideshow. I've refound some photos of it and updated the link. Thanks for letting me know!!