On There Goes the Galaxy De-motivational Poster Video and Childhood Lyrics Problems



Since it's been a bit of a big hairy monster in terms of the ol' day job, I only have two things this week for you.

One is a short video you might enjoy. I'd taken those faux inspirational poster graphics I'd created based on the Greater Communicating Universe of my book series, and made them into a video, with music and animation. It was a great learning experience for me in terms of editing and software, and I hope it'll give you a smile. I think it turned out pretty quirky, spacey and fun.

The other thing I wanted to share was a passing reflection on how kids tend to hear lyrics...

Which is to say: wrong. Very, very wrong.

Kids, being new to the world in general, are not daunted by things not making sense to their ears. When they hear a lyric that's seems strange, they do not consider that they, personally, might be mishearing. Nope, they assume automatically that they don't know half the things people are talking about anyway, and just run with it.

This crossed my mind as I caught myself thinking of the Josie and the Pussycats theme song. As a kid, I loved this cartoon, and I would sing the theme song.

Only I apparently had my very own version of the lyrics which my brain retains to this day.

I warn you, it's not pretty...

Josie and the Pussycats
Long tails and ears for hats
Guitars and short pizzats.
Me, sweet the poobystar
Yo an body come along


Yes. This is how I sang it.

If you were curious, I'd firmly believed a "pizzat" was the mini-dresses that Josie and the band wore.

I have no idea what a "poobystar" was. Possibly an astronomical phenomenon.

So--- do you recall totally mishearing lyrics as a kid? Or do your kids have some creative lyrics to their favorite songs? I'd be interested in hearing about them.

And on that note, I leave you until next time, dear friends.

1 comments:

Jaffer said...

Oh I remember the Josie and the Pussycats tune clearly.

I could never understand the "Overture Song" when the Bugs Bunny Show began

"Owowture Ya ya lights... This is it ya ya nights ... wa wa wawasing nursing apart... We know every part by heart" ... "The Hup Huppy Show" !