Context is Everything -or- I Might Be Eating Dog Treats


Marketing. I do this for a day job. So my off-duty brain is always making note of how products are positioned, what packaging looks like, and the estimated public tolerance duration for Office Camels asking Life's Great Questions like, "Anybody know what day it is?"

But I admit, a recent trip to the grocery store had my marketing brain flummoxed. Because in the Giant Eagle supermarket, in the pet food aisle, was a very unexpected display. 

Now, normally, these free-standing bins contain colorful rawhide chews... new cat food flavors described in the same manner as five-star restaurant specials... or lint rollers because--well, you haven't seen my house, but... lint rollers. 

But instead, in this small cardboard shelf--right by the refrigerator case containing products for the dog who gets back to his wolf heritage by buying prepackaged single-serving beef options as they did in the Old World when they ran out of grandmothers--here was a box of whole grain air popped crackers that came in Cheese or Barbecue. 

The chip aisle was several rows away. 

I was drawn to examine the box more closely. "Supergrains!" it told me. 

"3.5 grams of fat per serving!" it proclaimed.

"Dare," read the brand. 

So I did. Because it's so rare to find a snack that meets my very narrow dietary restrictions. Plus it didn't mention anything about "promoting a shiny, healthy coat" or being "excellent for teeth and gums," though, I'd be up for that, too.

So I now I have officially tried these Breton Popped Supergrain Crackers, and the verdict? 

Let's just say, if these are dog biscuits, you can call me "Lassie." They're delicious. And I plan to pick up another box today...

Well, right after I bury a few things and sniff some people.


Duty first, you know.


4 comments:

meleah rebeccah said...

"So I now I have officially tried these Breton Popped Supergrain Crackers, and the verdict? Let's just say, if these are dog biscuits, you can call me "Lassie." They're delicious. And I plan to pick up another box today..."

Hoooray for yummy new snacks!!!

Unknown said...

We'll see if they continue to stock them. The manager may wonder why they weren't selling, without ever realizing someone had accidentally set them up next to the Alpo.

Timothy M. Coplin said...

That's hilarious! Sometimes I wonder if pet food just might be better for the upright species among us than most of what we shovel down our gullet on a tri-daily basis.

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure they're intended for people and not pets, and someone just set it up in the wrong aisle. But it was funny, all right. I'll take a photo of the display, if it's still there next time I go.