Online ads have transformed into mini-iMax presentations, only without someone kicking your chair...
And bloggers insist on sharing their favorite tunes as a kind of background Muzak you can't shut off quickly enough, particularly if the boss is coming by, not that that ever happens because we don't ever read these things at work no really...
All designed to offer a more dynamic, sensory-oriented online experience.
But I've noticed that with all the new goodies social media sites have, they don't yet have their own theme songs--
Until now! Yes, today at Of Cabbages and Kings, I'd like to make a few preliminary suggestions for theme songs to accompany some of today's most popular social media venues.
(You'll note, I went heavy on the classic rock here, because I figured more folks would know the songs.)
- Twitter- Follow You, Follow Me (Genesis)
- Facebook- You've Got a Friend (Carol King) or, given the mind-boggling number of farm and stray pet apps, At The Zoo (Simon & Garfunkel)
- MySpace- Fifteen (Taylor Swift)
- Qwitter- Ex-Girlfriend, or Don't Speak (No Doubt)
- Friendfeed- Message in a Bottle (Police)
- Digg- Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Tears for Fears)
- StumbleUpon- Can't Find My Way Home (Traffic)
- Reddit- Don't Come Around Here No More (Tom Petty) or possibly You Know You're Wrong (Big Bad Voodoo Daddy)
- BlogCatalog- Given how many spammers there send me PMs claiming they've click the ads which I don't have, I'd like to suggest: Money for Nothin' (Dire Straits)
- YouTube- You Can't Always Get What You Want (Rolling Stones)
- Entrecard- Hello, Goodbye (Beatles)
- LinkedIn- Take this Job and Shove it (Johnny Paycheck)