Meet Shearadon and Woolworth

I'd mentioned in a meme earlier this week that many moons ago, in college, I drew a regular comic strip for the school paper starring anthropomorphic sheep who wore basketball sneakers. And a couple of you were sort of curious what that involved. (Understandable because, you know, livestock doesn't usually accessorize.) Well, since Claire of A Little Piece of Me is having a Doodle Week challenge May 8-14, I figured I'd be prepared. I'd get the flock out for Friday, and see if I still knew how to draw 'em.

This would, however, be Shearadon and Woolworth's first debut in color (it looks like I hired an eager kindergartener to color it in, doesn't it?). "Shearadon," by the way, is the one with the Aloha shirt and plaid pants, while "Woolworth" wears the tie and John Lennon glasses. Click the panels for embiggification.





Hope you guys got a chuckle, at least. In the college storyline, Woolworth went off to the university to see life beyond The Meadow and became immursed in literature, existentialism, Marxist theory and penning bad sheep poetry-- while Sheardon didn't so much go to classes, but sure had a great time when he joined one of the frats.

A sheep with a lampshade on his head... Now that's quality humor. :)

Take care, everybody. Have a great weekend and I think I can speak for Shearadon when I shout, "TGIF!"

-----------------------------------------------
Shearadon over-submitted his blog trying to get into the Humor-blogs directory. It was a sheep trick.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

The sheep looks an awful lot like the sheep that woolworths the shop use :P

Unknown said...

Heh, I didn't even know Woolworth's in the UK used a sheep mascot until you'd mentioned it-- I guess this is him here then?: http://www.woolworths.co.uk/web/jsp/index.jsp

I think he looks more like Shaun the sheep from Wallace and Gromit, or maybe the Serta mattress sheep.

I think I'm safe. :)

Alice said...

Very cute! And the coloring - definitely a 2nd or 3rd grader. ; ) I'd actually like to know what markers these were that didn't run dry by the last comic.

Unknown said...

Alice- Ah! A second or third grader, COOL! I must be getting better then. :)

And they're mostly Crayolas. We second or third graders swear by 'em!

Anonymous said...

It took me ten minutes to work out why they were called SHEARadon and WOOLworth.

I've been inhaling too many fumes from the photocopier today.

Unknown said...

Heh- anyway, it's Friday, Tiggy-- totally understandable! Hope you have a good photocopier-fume-free weekend ahead of you.

Greg said...

Oh, yay! They're back...not that I knew them on their first go-around...but I just knew they'd be fun!

Love the bit about the Sheep-American community bleating for their own blog...

Hmmm...a drawing meme, huh? I should dig out my old botanical sketches...I've been looking for a reason to refresh my supplie of Crayola markers...

3rd grade RULES!

Unknown said...

Ha, Greg- I keep forgetting you didn't go to college with me. Lili had talked about you for so long, it sort of seems like you were there.

Power to the third grade drawers! :)

Sujatha said...

Fantastic, Jen! Are you going to bring back all the comic strips of Shearadon and Woolworth that you drew? Please do, I would so love to see them all.

Unknown said...

Hi, Sujatha!- I'm not entirely sure which box contains my old comics-- and I'm also not sure how much of it was specific to my college audience (and would feel out of context now). But I may include a new strip now and then, time permitting.

Anonymous said...

Love the comic, giving them a regular slot would be a great idea.

Unknown said...

Hey, thanks, Carl. I think I'll consider it. It's somewhat amusing to me the aged sheep might still be relevant after all the years. (My friends from college will find it, likely, even more amusing!)

Miss Shirl said...

That's cute. I did a doodle too on PP. No, not that kind of pp you know my site PP. Lol!

Unknown said...

Well, as you do have wee ones, Shirley, the clarification for the rest of the visitors was probably a good thing after all. :) I'll have to see what you got up to.

crpitt said...

Jenn I love this!

and your right the other woolworth looks more wallacey gromitty :)

I love the fact that you have made him a blogger.

Unknown said...

Claire- We have now officially created a brand new adjective to be used whenever needed: "Wallace-and-Grommity" :)

Yeah, Shearadon had to get into blogging. He got into all sorts of trouble in college. :) So this was BOUND to happen.